The Village

The Village

Village History

Colesbourne has been in existence for many thousands of years. Although most of the history is obscured in the mists of time, an Iron age fort exists at Norbury to the northeast of the village and a roman villa was excavated in the 18th Century at Combend to the south. Earliest records show that an estate at Colesbourne, comprising “8 hides” was owned by the Bishopric of Worcester in 822. A hide is an ancient measurement equal to a landholding sufficient to support a single family, somewhere between 60 and 120 acres.

Mention of the village is made in the Domesday book of 1085, a huge survey of land in England carried out by William the Conqueror, and the St James’ church has elements of 11th century construction. In 1086 there were, according to tax records, 26 tenants living on the estate, with 34 families registered in 1650 and 153 persons registered in 1971.

Today, Colesbourne village is a thriving community of 100+ residents. A number of local businesses operate here providing services to the community and beyond.

Colesbourne Village
Lyde Cottage

St. James’ Church, Colesbourne

The ancient St James Church, dates back in records to 1050, and an unbroken list of rectors can be traced from William, called Arturo in 1266. Over the centuries the church has been subject to many alterations culminating with remodelling in the Victorian style in the 1850s by David Brandon alongside the building of a mansion house for HJ Elwes. Old features remaining are the base of a 12th century preaching cross, the 14th century roof timbers of the south transept (which also seems to have served as a side chapel), the 15th century tower and the rare “wine glass” pulpit and font from the same time. The five bells were all cast in 1719 by Abraham Rudhall of Gloucester and were rehung in a modern frame in 2001.

Worship continues today with regular weekly services through the year. In its beautiful setting it also provides a stunning place to get married. For enquiries about Sunday services or other church-related matters please contact the churchwarden on 01242 870264.

Colesbourne Church
St James’ Church Colesbourne

Churn Valley Services Ltd

The local filling station, shop and Post Office. Your local convenience store and off-licence.

01242 870357

Colesbourne Sawmills

For timber and firewood, fencing and gate supplies.

01242 870362

Foodworks Cookery School

Offering a wide range of courses designed to inspire everyone from beginners to experienced cooks and using only the freshest and finest seasonal ingredients.

01242 870538 www.foodworkscookeryschool.co.uk

Colesbourne Motor Garage

For all vehicle maintenance requirements.

 

01242 870234

Tom I’Anson Wines

A specialist Wine Merchant. Professional advice, great wines, good value and friendly service, you can buy your wines online, over the phone or in person with ease.

01242 870078 www.tomiansonwines.co.uk

Smiths Upholstery

Specialise in traditional upholstery and restoration of antique and vintage furniture. All materials used are natural and are of the highest quality available. All of upholstery is done by hand following time honoured traditions.

01242 870660 www.facebook.com/smithsupholsterycotswolds/
Bellringers in the church were divine and made a beautiful addition to the glorious gardens.
Visitor 2019